1. How does it work?The "Wheelz" we offer are electric self-balancing unicycles. It has gyro sensors and a balancing computerized system like a Segway. To turn the "Wheel" on you press the power button, and after you press it you will see how the Wheel suddenly becomes more stabilized. This system will help you learn how to get balanced more easily. The motor works frontward & backward so you mainly balance only on the side like any other vehicule.
2. What's the advantages being on Wheel ?In Wheel you go much further without tiring, your neighboorhood and activities that you concider nearby has now tripled & going across town or discovering new places has never been as appealing!
The Wheel is a bit between an electric bike and ski. It allows among other thing to make fluid shifts that sometimes remind slaloming in powder snow without any tracks or, depending the model, having a little beat under your feets but always with the advantage of accelerating and decelerating without any skid. Passer-by are always amazed!
The expression "in two sec" has never made so much sense than riding on Wheel, you will feel like everybody is in slow motion! You will be sure to astonish quite a few returning from the grocery store because of the salt that you had forgotten... and believe us... even after the tenth time, they will still be amazed!
3. Why Wheelz would be better than other vehicle?It is the lightest & most compact motorized vehicle actually. It is also very environmentally friendly even recharging while riding downhill. It provides unique riding sensation by being the more directional it can get even without ski poles...
This is the only motorized vehicle that allows such handling with great freedom of movement. On Wheel, you sneak in and out everywhere, in every corner sometimes taking no more than the size of your shoulders. No more stress about handlebar clinging and huge shift that two wheel inflicts us!
4. Why Wheelz would be better than a electric bicycle or an electric scooter ?A Wheel is lighter, more portable and gives sensations way more fun. It leaves your hands free to carry your shopping bags, holding an umbrella and your suitcase or remove your sweater to put it in your bag because it's too hot...
You will not have to pay an additional train ticket, no more worry whether the bus driver will let you come in (when you forgot your umbrella). You will ride in places impossible to sneak with handlebars and instantly catch it at the sight of a staircase or a tree trunk blocking a logging road...
You will not worry any longer if your bike gets stolen or vandalized or even finding a space large enough to enable you to recharge it. Beside your front door, in the train, under your desk, in a bar or even a nightclub dressing room... the Wheel can be charged anywhere and let you keep it at your side, without worrying about finding a place or padlock.
5. Why some models and not others?We pay particular attention to our selection to offer the best choices in differents styles of use! We are also experienced users who are testing and regularly informing about new models seeking to share our knowledge & share with you what's really worthwhile.
We select our models comparing several criteria: Their performance, their autonomy, safety, design and advice of experienced users since their inception.
As with any new vehicle, to this day no Wheel is perfect and you will maybe need to make compromise according to your needs and requirements. We hope to make your work easier with our selection.
6. Is it hard to learn?Depending on your skills, learning will take between 15 minutes and 3 hours to acquire the basic skills and about an afternoon to become seasoned driver, making it one of the easiest vehicles to learn.
Although you could feel suspicious at first, you quickly notice that it is very difficult to fall to the ground. The engine holds you inclining frontward or backward a bit like ski would do. When you feel uncertain or destabilized, you have the advantage of simply catching up on your foot. Learning is much easier than rollerblades for example, where the fall finish every time flat on the ground. At higher speed, you catch up on your feet running; in comparison, on bike (with something between the legs...) this is not the case... you're quickly surprised by the progress you are making and you quickly forget past difficulties.
On some models during learning, the silicone can press on the legs and feel hard. That's why we offer free learning foam on these models. Gradually you will start to relax your legs until feeling no problem (the foam can then be removed). It is also possible to ware shin pads if you take more time to relax.
For the first runs you use a strap or a belt to keep the Wheel straight and not to mark it during the learning process.
There is no handle like segway because you quickly realize it would become cumbersome and would just become useless after having acquired the basic skills.
If you do not feel comfortable learning, we also offer private lessons to learn the basics, know how to drive safely & try the different models we propose (see private courses section).
7. Is it sporty when you ride in Wheel?Depending on the model , the Wheel can be used in three distinct ways, making it a multi-purpose accessory :
An ultra handy mode of transport :In this case for sure ... it's not sporty . It's very fun and very relax. Accessible to any one , to save time and have fun , without tiring.Like skiing without lift !Sensations of skiing in carving mode, absorbing irregularities with your legs at high speed , obstacle crossing , etc. Without breaks ( no lift ) , it build the legs and it can work the rest of the body too! ( The whole body is used especially while " carving " as skiing !)A freestyle sportsIt remains the responsibility of each. The Wheels proposed to date are not really made to do tricks . But with some upgrades ( contact us for more info ) in flat , attention to aches ... it's almost the bodybuilding !!! Switch, one- foot , ollie with 8 to 13 kg between your feet, shove-it, etc. This is the beginning of a new air and we are the trailer!
8. Foot platforms shifting while cruising?Depending on the model , the foot platforms will lean backward to either prevent the maximum speed (=Tilt protection) or help to absorb the irregularities of the road at high speed ("Tilt speeding"). An alarm will sound to prevent the maximum speed in both cases.
When you master the basics of the Wheel , you should know that the technique for a comfortable and safe ride is to always to control your speed in the speed limits of your model.
Basically when it beeps or the tilts back, do not attempt to ibex ... Depending on the chosen model , it will be important to stay below the threshold for added security . (Typically Rockwheel)
9. How do I reset the system?If the Wheel fall and you need to reset the system, just press the power button to shut off the system, and press it again to turn it back on.
10. Should I turn the Wheel off while carrying it?
Yes you should. After you arrive to your destination, fold the pedals and press the power button before carrying the Wheel. That will stop the balancing system from analyzing your movements. If your carry it and forgot to turn it off, press the button to shut down.
11. Has the Wheel a front / rear ?Mechanically, you can use it in any direction, but all Wheelz are designed to ride with plug and LED indicator to the right or with the breaking light to the back specially for the tilt back & “tilt speeding”.
With practice you will find that you will be comfortable even in reverse, so if you feel you're driving like your drunk without a drink... it is certainly that you put it the wrong way...
12. How does the Wheel behaves uphills & downhills ?Uphill and downhill the Wheel is straight and acts as a personal escalator. The important thing is to consider the maximum incline capacity of your model and ride gradually remaining at an average speed to prolong the life expectancy of the engine and stay secure.
13. How about obstacles ?This will depend on the size of the obstacle, your ability and delay response of the model chosen.
More delay is short, the easier it is to overcome obstacles. That is why we carefully select the models that have either a short delay or the ability to change the delay. If the obstacle is too great, the best solution is to put a foot on the ground and bring the Wheel behind the obstacle or on sidewalk. It is possible to squeeze it between your legs and make a jump or "Ollie" to go over a step and even more... (Freestyle)
14. How to stand on his Wheel?This will depend on your model's delay response.
More it is short , the more we find ourselves straight by applying pressure on the heels or toes .
The longer the delay is, the more body inclination will be used to adjust the speed.
15. What are the benefits of a short or long delay?You should know that the delay is chosen by manufacturers for a reason .
A long delay response is for people who learn and who are not comfortable with the driving style. This delay favours more flexibility for " a larger margin of error for beginners " and a slower runaway wheel when it is above ground .
A short delay is for "seasoned drivers". This reaction time advantage faster acceleration / deceleration and better obstacle clearance . It is much more convenient for any irregularities such as bad roads , pavement , grass and paths in the forest.
16. Is it safe?Similar to other light vehicles, it depends on the driver and what safety precautions he takes. After you learn the basics of riding, it becomes just like every light vehicle – drive it carefully and read the Wheel’s instructional guide for all the detailed instructions.
17. Is there an age limit for the Wheel?There is no actual legal age for the Wheel but It is not recommended for children under fifteen years of age to ride without adult supervision nearby. However even very young children learn way faster as always.
(Rockwheels are not recommended for young children)
18. What about the recharge ?The Wheel is charged with a charger 110-230V. All of our Wheelz are delivered either with a Switss / France plug or an adapter Swiss / France.
It will take about 1h30 to 4 hours to charge it fully depending on the model. The LED light on the charger turns green when the battery is fully charged.
Depending on the model chosen (selected autonomy), it may be best to take the charger with in a bag to avoid any uncomfortable situation. If you go to work or at a friend that is at around 70% of your autonomy, it seems pretty solid to take it.
19. Where can you ride on Wheel?The United States, Norway, France and other countries have already accepted it.
In Switzerland, since 1rst June 2015 Wheelz with a motor over 500W need a license plate to circulate on bicycle lane but the law is not adapted to immatriculate more powerful models of this new technology. However our units can be leashed to get in the 20-25km/h maximum speed range set by the state. The law is strict, but agents are also understanding as the law should evolve in a near future. While driving, we note that passer-by accepts very well this new means of transport. We flow everywhere, we scamper along with one foot when there are a lot of people or not to scare the elderly and people smile, which is not necessarily the case with other means of transport.
20. Some tips before you get on it?While learning it is best to dress comfortably with comfortable shoes if possible rising shoes (to avoid injury against the foot platforms wedge) and knee pads, elbow pads and helmet...
Do not rush to try to roll yourself on the first hour - leave that for the second (if you feel comfortable enough). On your first day just take one of your friends and hold her/him while getting on it and use a belt or a strap attached to the handle for the Wheel to remain vertical and avoid damage during learning. Keep one foot on it, well positioned on the foot platform and your leg in full contact against the silicone pad. Once you incline your foot, the Wheel advance, You'll feel the engine keeping you in balance, take your time to position the second foot.
After you’re standing on the Wheel whilst holding your friend, straighten your body and shoulders looking away and lean slightly forward. Do not lean too much, and do not forget to always start rolling gradually.
To stop, simply lean back keeping the pressure on your heels, and when you're standing almost still, put one foot one the ground keeping the Wheel vertical with your belt or strap. Once you 're really comfortable to ride and set foot on the ground without any help , the strap is optional.
21. Tips in town
Prefer to ride on the outside edge of the sidewalk so that any outgoing car leaving a parking or a person a cross will be easily avoidable.Slow down when passing a person closely from behind to not frighten her or use a bell attached to the finger if you have a silent model.When you are in an area with lots of people, put a foot down and scamper along not to disturb.Drive responsibly : Like any other vehicle slow down the crossing and always keep an eye on your path. No texting while driving!
22. Maintenance on WheelzThis depends on the model. Mechanical Wheelz require a bit more maintenance than others. For the rest, the batteries usually support more than 1000 cycles which more than 10000km. As for the tires, there is no skid (such as ABS ), so the wear is very low. Only punctures require its change which is extremely rare.
23. Warranty, after-sales serviceThe Wheel is delivered fully assembled, with the inflated tire. Upon receipt of your Wheel, keep the box & the receipt, it will be useful in case of return.
In the case of a repair, we will generally return within a week. We have most of the parts in stock for fast service. If you think you need a repair, please contact us before sending it back to us.